FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
AN ACCURATE DECKARD TRENCH -

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Costumes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject: AN ACCURATE DECKARD TRENCH - Reply with quote

THE DECKARD TRENCH
Over the last couple of decades, there have been numerous attempts and offerings of replicas of the trenchcoat, from individuals and cosplay resources, from Abbyshot to Magnoli Clothiers, at a wide range of costs, but I have never discovered anyone who produced anything approaching an accurate replica in any quantity, for any price. The few individuals who may have, early on, came and went - understandably unable to furnish their work in any quantity or maintain the required pace at a reasonable cost.

When Abbyshot first offered their promising V1 (the version which erroneously used a water-repellent blend), they requested input. Apparently, I was one of a very few who responded with any input - fabric and color reference, which they chose to ignore, stating their sources could not supply a fabric in brown(?) The result was a coat in an orange tone closer to Deckard underlying sportscoat than to his trench.

It was apparently met with some resistance and they soon offered a cotton version (V2). I took careful measurements, but upon receiving the V2, I found it to oversized, the collar lacking and it remained far from the correct color. A second coat was sent with little improvement in fit, but with the hassle, disappointed, I decided to live with it.

Investigating further, the only other source at that time seemed to be Magnoli, but at the cost and noting the comments here and online elsewhere - and the fact that, like Abbyshot, the collar still looked too thin and unstructured. I passed.

More recently, versions on eBay from overseas were considerably more affordable, but having seen a friend's Asian copy, it was more simply made and inaccurate with a floppy collar and poor construction. Obviously aimed at the younger cosplay market, you got what you paid for . . .

— — —

Following the release of "2049", similarly, the replicas of K's coat are equally inaccurate, with most being offered in cheap black leather when the actual coat was a dark green, was a treated cotton material and had stenciled markings down the back.

I have to wonder that IF anyone had made the effort to do it right in the beginning, sales might have been better. After getting it wrong a second time, Abby eventually dropped their coat. Hopefully, they at least broke even.

So here it is, on the verge of becoming 2019. Has ANYONE ever offered Deckard's trench in it's full glory? Or has costs and the current "failure" of "2049" once again stalled any interest?

NECA seems to have ceased any further offerings.

Perhaps by 2049 . . .

- R13
Bwood
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only my opinion, but given the current world we live in, subsequent generations don't seem to be interested in the quality of which you speak. "Faster and cheaper" seem to be the order of the day. Too bad... Mad
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: OLD NEWS Reply with quote

As our old standards - Star Trek, Star Wars, ALIEN, Blade Runner, et al suffer from the changes in the way of reboots and re-imaginings, so also how the fans celebrate has. As with everything now, change has quicken and nothing seems sacred.

Those fixated on what was popular in the past are becoming fewer, so I fear you are correct. In another 5 to 10 years everything we've valued will be worthless to the new crowd (if not before then).

Indeed, sad. One might say, "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe, and have no interest in . . . "

- R13
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnoli (therpf.com ) is still doing a Deckard coat, as well as one fromBR 2049 Wink
hauptmann
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Revisited the Magnoli coat and it looks generally pretty good, but something doesn't seem right about the collar, which is probably the singularly most defining characteristic of the whole coat, if not Deckard's entire "look".

Sadly, I don't think I've seen -any- coat replicas that get the collar right. Most are too small, too flat, no "puffiness" in the ribs between the stitching lines.

....and the colors......oooo, lordy. [eyeroll]

Maybe somebody's gotten it right that I'm unaware of. I'm hoping. Could somebody please show us a -correct- coat? I don't care if it's unavailable, I'd just like to see a good replica.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim had a very good replica of the costume and the coat Wink
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hauptmann -

Exactly my point. One, if not the MOST important, feature and no company has ever got it right. Second is the color.

Plenty of reference, but no go . . . .

- R13[/i]
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Costumes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: