FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Where can the Transparent orange board be bought?

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TKY2019
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject: Where can the Transparent orange board be bought? Reply with quote

Hi

I want to make the grip of the blaster.
I find 1inch Transparent orange board.
Maybe, the grip panel of the blaster is made from the 「acrylic resin board ].

What is the 「acrylic resin board ] in English?
Plexiglass?Acrylic Board?Acrylic sheets?
Robotprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. To date, most have been casting the grips. (That I know of) A few of us have carved wooden grips but it never occurred to me to carve acrylic grips.
You are looking for acrylic or plexi. Plastic manufacturers are everywhere, just do a search in your city. Getting the right colour and thickness might be tricky and expensive. They usually only sell in 4'x8' sheets. You might have luck at some glass places. You can sometimes get off cuts for cheap or free.
You would need to start with 3/4" thick for each side and cut it down considerably. The grips are a little thicker than 1/2" in most places but have a few spots, especially on the right above the forefinger where it sits even more proud.
Good luck!
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very likely that the hero grips were not cast, but cut from "acrylic sheet", or "blocks". The thickness on the hero grips actually seems to be pretty consistent all accross, only the replica ones seem to have thickness differences beyond the grip pattern which is pretty flat an parallel to the inside of the grips. I am willing to bet they are also a consistent 1/2" thick except where they are carved out.

I had seen a lamp at one tome that had a few small blocks that looked very similar, even with a similar carved grip pattern on one side. The lamp was several thousand dollars and made in the 60's Wink. I though for a while they may have got the stuff with the pattern allready on it. I seriously doubt it now, The lamp pattern was square checkered, and also about 3/8" thick. The color was also very different. More of a bright yellow orange.

Still I am convinced they were not ground down, and used at their original thickness. The grips on my Stunt version of the gun are smaller than 1/2" thick, and at just about the right ratio to be 1/2" on the real gun. It is possible they were made in metric thicknesses though. Another name they go by is acrylic "Panels".

Andy
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most seem to only have 1/4' thick, but these guys have it in 1/2" amber...

http://www.midwestplastics.com/coloracrylic.html

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: