FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
New Worldcon Kit Preview
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
olsonspeed
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eighteen days give or take on the shipping. Mine arrived in two packages two weeks apart, first the cylinder and clip electrics, second the remainder of the model. Yes I agree, I felt a bit of trepidation on the EBay purchase but it worked out great.
QuasiOdo
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, I must say, the kit is impressive. VERY impressive.
Secondly, as someone kind of "late to the party," I'm wondering why the continual bashing of Coyle?
As I understand from reading older threads, he had accused Sid of recasting parts that he had produced.
As I had been aware previously, Coyle along with a partner had done extensive research on the prop, and then went to great pains to get his Worldcon version as accurate as possible.
So, IF there are tells present, why not give RAC a chance to make his case?
Or has he already, and did the points raised turn out to not be valid?
I'm kind of perplexed, because I have a vintage Coyle blaster- one with light and sound- and it's very well constructed and has held up very well over many years. It even survived a house fire. The newer ones of his I saw a couple of years ago looked awesome. Obviously, I'm missing something.
(Please, I don't want to start any kind of new screaming match. I'm just making some observations, as I respect the talents of ANYONE who can reproduce a prop of such complexity with such accuracy.)
olsonspeed
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As we say up here in the northwest "don't poke the bear".
If you really must know, review all the previous messages on this board.
QuasiOdo
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A glutton for punishment I am not.
Skimming them once was enough...
4yearlifespan
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard did make his case...albeit, childish, derogatory, racial remarks made, blatant name calling on his part...... among many other things. Yup...he made his case alright. I do love my RAC blaster as well - but the sidkit is just sweeter.
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QuasiOdo wrote:
A glutton for punishment I am not.
Skimming them once was enough...

Indeed, there was that period where just about every post/topic was getting redirected to The Pit.

It was one of those situations that just spiraled and escalated out of control. Personal egos got bruised, and in the end Rich really went over the deep end and was pretty much screaming RECASTER!! in every post regardless of the topic. It got to the point where he was pretty much claiming patent on how the damn thing was bolted together, and insinuating that the community at large was part of some vast conspiracy to defraud him and drag his name through the mud. When really all people here were saying is 'hey, we'd like a cheaper alternative, preferably in metal.' I think even if Sid had milled every part of the blaster from a block of metal, Rich would still have found cause to cry RECASTER!

His attitude on the boards got progressively worse and it alienated a lot of people. Some members have had negative business transactions with him, and they called him on it. That further escalated the issue. I think some people got sick and tired of the attitude he was throwing and well, they started pointing out what they were dissatisfied with.

Frankly if I were to lay culpability at anyone's feet, I'd lay it at Ham Salad's feet. It seemed to me that ever since Ham Salad got Rich worked up over his blaster designs and reproducing them cheaply in metal, that Rich's state of aggravation skyrocketed and the issue was never resolved to Rich's satisfaction, if that would even have been possible. I think those unresolved issues presented themselves in the worldcon model subject and it went downhill from there.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
clutch
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also seem to remember him fabricating a story to prevent the worldcon pictures being made available to the public.

BTW, Sid's site has a section to check on the status of your order. I entered the details and got this back:

Order Status: Shipped

Order History: 09 Jun 2008 - Received
14 Jun 2008 - Order Shipped

Supplier: www.magneticmodel.com
http://www.sidkit.com/
info@sidkit.com

Wh00t!

Now, how long is priority mail? lol!

Last edited by clutch on Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total
QuasiOdo
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.
Sad to hear. It seems that an unfortunate downward spiral has occurred.
Surprising, since Coyle has been in the prop biz for thirty years and really is nobody's fool. Not to mention he's had many satisfied customers over time and has also been through the mill with Paramount and a string of disappointing dealings. Usually he doesn't get worked up unless he's pushed and there's a good reason, so this all seems uncharacteristic.

Unfortunate. Not many out there doing this stuff.... wish everyone could get along...

Oh yeah- what ever happened with that comparison build someone was doing?
drmcoy
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: COYLE & SIDKIT REVIEWS Reply with quote

I am the one who promised the reviews of the Coyle and SidKit pistols.

I have finished my Coyle review and will post this weekend -- I was waiting on a friend to tap the holes for the buttplate so it could be screwed into the grip frame -- the buttplate DID have holes but the bottom of grip frame did not, and I do not have the tools/skill to do this myself.

I will get the Coyle pistol back from my friend Thursday and will take pictures of the finished piece and post it with pics of it unfinished as well, along with my full review. The only thing that might not be done on mine when I post the review is have the LEDS wired, but this shouldn't detract from 99.9% of what people are looking for in a review of this prop.

I have built the previous version of SidKit, and I have the new SidKit coming any day now, and it will likely take me a week or three to get it finished and a review posted.

For what it's worth, I am reviewing each piece on its own merit, and not having a "comparison" review -- although I may provide a comparison review once I have both kits reviewed separately.
amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only ask that nobody speak ill of Mr. Coyle personally as he is not here to defend himself. I have no issues with people praising or admonishing his product, just not Coyle himself since he is unable to respond to any comments about him as a person.

If you need an idea of what transpired with Richard Coyle, I ask that you read about it in "The Pit" section of this forum where many of the conversations that went south have been moved.

Thanks!

Tom
clutch
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

double post

Last edited by clutch on Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:50 pm; edited 3 times in total
clutch
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm getting a little panicky because we passed the 30 day mark, but I have faith in Siderio. I hear a knock on the door and see a box at my doorstep. It weighs a lot, so I'm getting giggly with anticipation. I open it up and what is inside? This:

So I'm waving it around like a kid at Christmas and notice missing pieces. Slight bit of panic, but I remember you guys saying that stuff shipped in different boxes. I notice that the bottom cover is metal and not plastic too. Sad

So some time passes and I decide to check the mailbox because sometimes the mailman will still put stuff in the box even though he just walked up to the door to deliver a box.

Can you imagine my surprise when I saw a smaller box in my mailbox from Siderio! Crack it open and bam! Plastic cover! Pre-wired led's! The rest of the missing bits. Bullets!

It has been a while since I have gotten excited about a prop replica, but this one totally fits the bill.

I took a couple of pictures of it next to one of my Coyle blasters. Makes it feel like a toy now.

Thanks Siderio!!!
drmcoy
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: SIDKIT Reply with quote

Just finished mine up this weekend -- I'll post a bunch'a pics and a review within the next two days.

I will say that this kit is pretty much ready to finish right out of the box. I REALLY liked that the LEDS came PRE-WIRED so all you have to do is push them in place and then stick the wires into a special connection box provided (no soldering needed) -- the green LEDS on the side scope thingy are also prewired and also light up.

Of course, for those that nitpick the smaller details, there are still a few things that aren't 100% spot on compared to the hero prop, but overall, this is a REALLY nice kit.

If you have the ability to finish the kit the way you want (spray paint and PERMA BLUE type finishes) then this kit only takes a weekend to put together.
SaberFreak
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drmcoy, since you've just finished building your Sidkit, may I ask something about your kit?

I've just put mine together without any paint/bluing; just to see if everything's there and how they fit.

The last thing I put together was the cylinder mechanism, and I had loads of problems with it. The cylinder mechanism cover (left cover) came with the rod with the green LEDs and the cylinder mechanism holder installed, so I didn't bother to dismantle them. When I put the cylinder onto the holder, it looks wonky, i.e. the cylinder was slanting towards the cover on one end. I gently prise it until its almost parallel with the cover, but dare not go any further in case the holder breaks.

When I tied to insert the pin that goes through the cylinder mechanism, it won't pass through. I discovered this is because the hole of the bottom knob of the bullet ejector is not big enough for the rod to pass through. I widened the hole and sanded down the rod slightly but the fit is still not good, and the rod gets jammed frequently. The rod also bends easily because its made of pewter. And when its bent even so slightly it would jam.

After a lot of fiddling and adjusting, I finally managed to put the cylinder mechanism together. But when I attached the left cover (with the cylinder mechanism on it) onto the blaster body, I couldn't close it. It was more fiddling and adjusting before I managed to close the left cover.

And then I discovered the cylinder won't turn properly, because part of it is in contact with the cover. Also the cover would come loose and fall out slightly when I tilt the gun. There don't seem to be any mechanism to lock it in place. Same thing happens to the 'bolt' on the other side when I tilt the gun...it would fall out and jiggle around.

Sorry that my first post about my Sidkit Worldcon is a negative one, but I just want to know if I received a kit with some less then perfect parts, or is everybody else's kit like that?

Apart from what I mentioned above, the kit is wonderful. everything else fits right, look great, and feels nice in my hand.

I do have a few other things I wish Sid had done different, but I'll leave that for another day.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Finbladerunner
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clutch wrote:

Can you imagine my surprise when I saw a smaller box in my mailbox from Siderio! Crack it open and bam! Plastic cover! Pre-wired led's! The rest of the missing bits. Bullets!

I got my Sidkit today, but no plastic cover on second box. Sad Was it somekind special order? I didn't get it.
nyreaper
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my Sidkit today, but no plastic cover on second box. Sad Was it somekind special order? I didn't get it.[/quote]

yeah, the plastic cover must be optional with the kit .... i had to pay extra for mine.
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the unifinished look of the blaster.

Call me wierd, but I think it looks kind of cool in dull silver.

How difficult is it to polish that stuff up to a high shine?

Anybody know?
drmcoy
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: TO SABERFREAK Reply with quote

I also had trouble with the swing-out bullet chamber. This is finicky on botht he Coyle and the SidKit. The trouble I had was getting the little rod to spring out smoothly into the little hole on inside of gun frame -- so it would "lock" into place. The little rod and ejector thingy and spring and small piece of metal tube that all gets put inside is VERY tricky to get installed and then have it work smoothly.

So, I do not have an easy solution for you on this -- you seem to be doing what i would do which is to keep playing with it. I am not especially fond of this feature, so I got min working to a point, but as I do not intend to keep opening up the side chamber, I am liable not to fuss with it anymore.

I suppsoe you could just GLUE the assembly in place, but my guess is you want to be able to eject the chamber and put bulets in, so you'll just have to keep futzing with it until you getit working.

Sorry I can't be of further help -- but this was the most frustrating part of the build on both my Coyle and Sidkit kits. I will saythat the mechanism Sidkit used on his EARLIER version of the BR gun kit worked like a charm, but it did not have the ejector port.

If anyone else figgers out how to make this work more smoothly, please letus know.

As for the side rod with green LEDs -- I'd have to see a pic to understand why it isn't working for you -- mine seems to be attached fine and does not getin the way of anything or look wonky.

I admit that TALKING about problems with these kits is challenging -- it seems to take 300 words to describe the simplist issues -- which is why having pics might help me understand the problems you are facing.
SaberFreak
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: TO SABERFREAK Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply drmcoy, appreciate it. And its good to know I'm not the only one having problem with the bullet chamber.

drmcoy wrote:
As for the side rod with green LEDs -- I'd have to see a pic to understand why it isn't working for you -- mine seems to be attached fine and does not getin the way of anything or look wonky.

Sorry I wasn't clear about that. I didn't have problem with the side rod with green LEDs. Its the rod that holds the bullet chamber I'm having problem with. I think it just needs to be dismantled and screwed back properly, but I'm gonna wait till I get my bluing solution before I take everything apart.

I'm trying to make a video of how I struggle with it, but its not exactly easy trying to activate the record button when the camera's behind my shoulder, perched on a tripod. I'll post it when I manage to get it done.
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noeland wrote:
I really like the unifinished look of the blaster.

Call me wierd, but I think it looks kind of cool in dull silver.

How difficult is it to polish that stuff up to a high shine?

Anybody know?

I dig on the unfinished look myself. Be even better with black rubber grips. As to the polishing, most people have said it polishes up nicely with a bit of work with the dremel and some steel wool. I think you'd have to seal it though once its done, otherwise the metal will probably discolor over time. Then again that might look good too.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: